Established as a boys’ boarding school in 1951, Spratton Hall School has changed a lot over the last 70 years. In 1975 the school welcomed girls, then in 1991, boarding ceased and the school became the co-educational, independent, day preparatory school it is today.
The House and Grounds
The main house dates back to 1770 and retains some its original Georgian features including the mahogany staircase, mosaic floor, and intricately carved mantelpieces. However, the school has been developed over the years and the main house now sits in 50 acres of manicured grounds, featuring multiple sports pitches, hard courts and an Astro Turf, a theatre, indoor sports dome, and purpose-built blocks for science, music, art, design and technology, and a large Pre-Prep department.
The School Emblem
Chosen by Spratton Hall’s founders (Mrs and Mrs Hunter) in 1951 the school’s emblem is a stag’s head and cross, originating from the tale of Saint Hubert, Patron Saint of Hunters, Mathematicians, Opticians and Metal Workers. The story goes that on Good Friday, in the year 693, Hubert was out hunting in the forests of the Ardennes and had a vision of a stag with a shining crucifix between his antlers. This vision inspired him to renounce his birth right and study for the priesthood. As such, the school hymn is appropriately, ‘As Pants The Hart’.
The present day
Today the school has 400 pupils, aged 4 to 13 and split equally between boys and girls. We are recognised for our exceptional academic, sporting and extra-curricular offering as well as our Spratton Hall Spirit!